One in three adults still don’t get enough sleep, even when we learn the benefits of a better night’s sleep. Over time, not getting enough sleep actually changes who we are, mentally and physically. Cognitive delays, memory issues, and a weakened immune system are only a few side effects of a lack of sleep. Some factors are within our control, like turning off screens an hour before we plan to go to sleep, while others, like chronic pain, may be more challenging to tackle.
There may not appear to be a correlation between chiropractic care and sleep, but there is! Here’s how chiropractic care can give you a better night’s sleep:
- Working with a chiropractor means you have someone who knows your musculoskeletal system better than anyone else. Knowing your body’s posture and tendencies can lead to the right recommendations when it comes to choosing a mattress, a pillow, and a sleeping position. This sets you up for sleep success.
- Chiropractic adjustments bring the spine back into alignment, releasing tension, relieving pain, improving blood flow, and relaxing the body. Regular treatments spell less inflammation and better chances of falling (and staying) asleep.
- While there are many reasons for insomnia, chronic neck and back pain are chief among the medical causes of it. Research suggests a connection between subluxations and insomnia, even noting that dopamine and serotonin can become imbalanced because of subluxations. The good news here is that working with a chiropractor will give the patient a drug-free way to effectively relieve the pain and improve the quality of their sleep.
- Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) happens when the soft tissue inside the mouth and throat relax while sleeping, blocking the upper airway. Misalignments in the neck and upper body may restrict respiration, but soft tissue massage and spinal adjustment by a chiropractor may be just what’s needed to promote proper breathing. If you suffer from OSA, talk to your doctor about incorporating chiropractic care into your treatment plan.
- Stress can take a serious toll on the body over time. If your stress levels are through the roof, a chiropractor can ease tension and help the entire central nervous system to function better. Regular adjustments can decrease stress levels, promote consistent quality sleep, and address a host of other issues you may not have known were to blame for keeping you up all night.
There are many reasons adults don’t get enough sleep, especially in these trying times. But if you’ve tried everything and still can’t fall asleep without a struggle or stay asleep throughout the night, it may be time to seek outside help. If tossing and turning has become the norm and you’re not functioning optimally during your waking hours, give Reza Chiropractic a call and get on the path to a better night’s sleep today!